Stormwater Utility Fee
What is a Stormwater Utility Fee?
Stormwater originates from rain or melting snow or other activities involving outdoor water use, such as car washing or hosing off the driveway or sidewalk. Water that does percolate into the ground becomes stormwater run-off. Every property generates run-off and benefits from the Village infrastructure system that manages stormwater.
The utility fee model represents an equitable method of allocating the cost of improvements and maintenance of the stormwater management system. Those properties that place a greater demand on the system, pay a higher rate. The fee generates funds by charging all property owners a stormwater fee, based on the property's impact to the stormwater system. A property's impact is calculated based on the amount of impervious area on the property (i.e. structures, driveways, walkways).
Funds generated by the utility can only be used for the maintenance, operations and improvement of the stormwater management system (i.e. storm sewer pipe and structures, detention/retention basins and structures, rain gardens/bioswales, etc.).
The Finance Committee and Public Works & Water Committee met jointly throughout 2021 to review unfunded capital infrastructure projects. An estimated $30 million in stormwater related projects were identified with no existing funding source. The Joint Committee and Village Board, directed staff to explore the following technical studies:
- Stormwater Utility Fee Study - Explore a potential funding source for unfunded projects and operations/maintenance of the stormwater management system.
- Capital Infrastructure Plan/Financial Plan - Review all facets of the Village's infrastructure including, but not limited to, roadway, sewer (sanitary/storm), water distribution/production, sidewalk/bike, municipal facilities, streetscape, and fiber optic. The purpose of the study is to outline capital project costs, prioritizations, and funding options.
In the fall of 2021 the Village issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) for a Stormwater Utility Fee Study. The study was separated into two phases: Phase I - Feasibility of the fee in Western Springs (estimated rate structure, funding needs, etc.) and Phase II - Implementation of the fee into the community and organization (utility billing, public information/town halls, customer service, etc.). The Village Board reviewed a staff recommendation to award Phase I of the study to Raftelis at the November 8, 2021 Board Meeting. Phase I of the study was awarded to Raftelis at the November 22, 2021 Board Meeting. Raftelis and Village staff presented the results of Phase I at the June 2022 Board meeting (below).
Phase II was awarded to Raftelis on July 11, 2022 and is currently underway. Completion of Phase II is expected to occur at the end of 2022. If adopted, the fee is expected to go into effect in early 2023.
- November 5, 2020 - Joint Finance and Public Works and Water Committee Meeting - Initial review of outstanding, unfunded, capital projects.
- January 21, 2021 - Joint Finance and Public Works and Water Committee Meeting - Review of funding options available to the Village.
- May 3, 2021 - Joint Finance and Public Works and Water Committee Meeting - Review of funding options utilized by other municipalities.
- August 11, 2021 - Joint Finance and Public Works and Water Committee Meeting - Stormwater Utility Fee Study recommended by the joint committee.
- November 4, 2022 Finance Committee Meeting - Raftelis recommended as consultant to complete study.
- November 8. 2022 Village Board Meeting - Request for Proposals reviewed and Raftelis recommendation.
- November 8. 2022 Village Board Meeting - Raftelis awarded Stormwater Utility Fee Study.
- June 13, 2022 Village Board Meeting - Stormwater Utility Fee Study Phase I Feasibility Presentation
*The volume of the presentation may need to be adjusted up when the Raftelis presentation begins (~17 minutes, 36 second) due to technical difficulties with the podium microphone.
- June 24, 2022 Gathering on the Green - Staff was present at the Gathering on the Green to provide detailed information, answer questions, and collect feedback.
- July 9, 2022 Ravinia in Ridgewood - Staff was present at the Ravinia in Ridgewood event to provide detailed information, answer questions, and collect feedback.
- July 11, 2022 Village Board Meeting - Phase II (Implementation) of the Storm Water Utility Fee Study was awarded to Raftelis.
- November 3, 2022 Finance Committee Meeting - Staff presented recommendations for final fee structure, draft credits program, and the inclusion of all residential and non-residential properties.
This page will continue to be updated as more information becomes available.
- Request for Proposals (RFP) for Stormwater Utility Fee Study (PDF)
- Raftelis Proposal - Response to Request for Proposals (PDF)
- Raftelis Cost Proposal - Response to Request for Proposals (PDF)
- Raftelis Professional Professional Services Agreement for Phase I (PDF)
- Raftelis Professional Services Agreement Phase II Addendum (Resolution 22-2678) (PSA)
- Infrastructure Studies Review Presentation Slides - Capital Infrastructure Plan and Stormwater Utility Fee Study (PDF)
- Raftelis Stormwater Utility Fee Study Presentation Slides - Phase 1 Feasibility (PDF)