Capital Infrastructure Plan
Progress and Current Results
The Capital Infrastructure Plan (CIP) has reached 90% completion and current results, and all future results, can be viewed in the Capital Infrastructure Plan GIS Story Map.
What is the Capital Infrastructure Plan?
The Capital Infrastructure Plan will be a comprehensive review of all Village infrastructure to estimate project costs and prioritization for capital projects. Capital projects are identified as projects that improve on the Village’s infrastructure (i.e. roadway construction, storm sewer improvements, municipal buildings, etc.). Infrastructure categories include, but are not limited to:
- Water Production/Distribution
- Sewer (Storm, Sanitary, Combined)
- Municipal Properties
- Street Lighting
- Fiber Optic Network
The plan will focus on a risk assessment of each infrastructure item, public involvement, sustainability, and grant funding opportunities. Please view the video below for more detailed information.
Public involvement is an important piece to the development of the Capital Infrastructure Plan. In general, the prioritization of projects will be focused on engineering best management practices and a risk assessment framework. Public involvement opportunities will be present in the form of Open House events, online surveys, Infrastructure Commission meetings, community events and more.
The first opportunity for public involvement is in the form of a brief survey. Please use the link below to access the survey and provide your feedback.
In 2021, the Joint Public Works & Water and Finance Committee reviewed all identified, unfunded, capital projects outlined in engineering/technical studies completed over the last decade. The Committee identified ~$50 million in identified projects, with $30 million being associated to stormwater management, based on previously completed engineering/technical studies. The Committee, and ultimately Village Board, made a decision to pursue a comprehensive understanding of the Village's infrastructure needs coupled with funding options. The Village Board assigned the Infrastructure Commission to oversee project milestones.
In late 2021, the Village issued a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) seeking qualified engineering firms to develop the Capital Infrastructure Plan. A staff recommendation to the Infrastructure Commission on March 24, 2022, the Public Works & Water Committee on April 4, 2022, and the Village Board on April 11, 2022. The Village Board approved Baxter and Woodman as the qualified firm on April 25, 2022 and a formal proposal is expected in the summer of 2022.
*The volume of the presentation may need to be adjusted up when the Raftelis presentation begins (~17 minutes, 36 second) due to technical difficulties with the podium microphone.
- June 24, 2022 Gathering on the Green - Staff was present at the Gathering on the Green to provide detailed information, answer questions, and collect feedback.
- July 9, 2022 Ravinia in Ridgewood - Staff was present at the Ravinia in Ridgewood event to provide detailed information, answer questions, and collect feedback.
- July 11, 2022 Village Board Meeting - The development of the Capital Infrastructure Plan was awarded to Baxter & Woodman.
- January 23, 2023 Village Board Meeting - A Capital Infrastructure Plan update was provided by staff and the public education video was screened (starts at 6 minutes, 20 seconds) for the Village Board and viewers. The public survey was also discussed and an updated timeline on the progress of the plan was outlined.
- February 24, 2023 Infrastructure Commission Meeting - Baxter and Woodman presented an update on the Capital Infrastructure Plan. The update include previously completed work, an overview of the risk assessment process, draft public survey results, and information on the project timeline. The presentation is linked below as a PDF.
- March 13, 2023 Village Board Meeting - Baxter and Woodman presented the an update on the Capital Infrastructure Plan. The presentation mirrored the update provided to the Infrastructure Commission on February 24th. The update can be viewed below at the 16 minute, 25 second mark.
- May 30, 2023 Infrastructure Commission Meeting - Baxter and Woodman presented an update on the Capital Infrastructure Plan. The plan has reached 60% completion and the update focused on the findings from the risk assessment process for all areas of infrastructure.
- June 26, 2023 Village Board Meeting - Baxter and Woodman presented an update on the Capital Infrastructure Plan. The plan has reached 60% completion and the update focused on the findings from the risk assessment process for all areas of infrastructure.
- October 23, 2023 Village Board Meeting - Baxter and Woodman presented an update on the Capital Infrastructure Plan. The plan has reached 90% completion and the update focused on outlining high risk projects and sample cost estimation. A recording will be posted here once it is available.
This page will continue to be updated as more information becomes available.
- Baxter and Woodman - Capital Plan Update and Risk Assessment Process Presentation 2.23.22 (PDF)
- Baxter and Woodman Capital Infrastructure Plan Interview Documents (PDF)
- Baxter and Woodman Professional Services Agreement (Resolution 2-2684) (PDF)
- Baxter and Woodman Response to RFQ for Capital Infrastructure Plan (PDF)
- Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for Capital Infrastructure Study (PDF)