Yard waste is collected at the curb on scheduled collection days from April 1 through November 30. Yard waste consists of:
- Grass clippings
- Plant materials (such as weeds)
- Unwanted plants
- Please make sure material is free of dirt.
- Material must be placed in a 33-gallon, biodegradable paper bag with a Western Springs waste sticker affixed.
- The maximum weight of bags is 60 pounds.
- Plastics bags will not be collected.
- Christmas trees are collected at the curb the first two weeks of January. Tree must be free of any decorations. No waste sticker is needed.
- Brush must be bundled with natural rope or twine. Please do not use plastic binding or metal.
- Bundles must be no more than 4 feet in length and 2 feet in diameter.
- Individual branches must be no more than 3 inches in diameter.
- The maximum weight of bundles is 60 pounds.
- All bundles must have a Western Springs sticker affixed.
Storm Damage Cleanup
Following a severe storm, residents are urged to immediately move fallen branches to the curb for pick up by Public Works. All regular tree trimmings must be disposed of through the yard waste program.
The village removes leaves from residential streets beginning in late October and ending the first week of December. In early October, an informational postcard is mailed to residents explaining the leaf removal program and schedule. Residents may also receive information on the program by subscribing to announcements from the Department of Municipal Services at Notify Me.
Only leaves are raked into the gutter. Also, residents parking on residential streets should exercise caution during this time as hot automobiles can easily ignite large piles of leaves.
During the removal process, residents can call the Leaf Hotline, 708-246-1800, ext. 305, for daily schedule updates.