Des Plaines Valley Mosquito Abatement DistrictThe mosquito population is controlled by the Des Plaines Valley Mosquito Abatement District who conducts surveillance to locate and control or eliminate mosquito breeding sources. Results of surveillance and updates on the west nile virus are regularly posted to the district's website.
Spraying NotificationIf necessary, the district may utilize spraying as a means to control adult mosquito populations. This is accomplished by applying chemical agents directly in areas of open water sources, such as large ponds and catch basins. Residents with a disability requiring reduced pesticide exposure may request a “no spray” area. Details on obtaining the "no spray" request are available on the district's web site.
Please note that the village receives a 24-hour advance notice about spraying; however, the district now provides this information online for residents to check on adult mosquito control plans.
The district also posts a recorded message after 3:30 p.m. on their main phone line at 708-447-1765. Residents can call this number to see if any adult control operations are planned for that evening. The village will also post spraying activity on the village website and the cable channel.
Basic Steps to Control the Mosquito PopulationResidents can assist the District in their efforts to control the mosquito population by following these basic steps:
- Empty plastic wading pools weekly or store upside down when not in use.
- Change water every few days in bird baths and plant saucers.
- Water bowls for pets should be emptied and refilled daily.
- Keep weeds and grass cut short.
- Be sure screens in homes are in good repair and tight fitting.
- Keep gutters around your home clean and in good repair.
- Finally, to protect yourself from exposure to adult mosquitoes:
- Limit time outdoors when mosquito activity is heaviest (dusk to dawn).
- If outside, wear socks, shoes, long pants and a long-sleeved shirt. Loose-fitting, light colored clothing is best.
- Use repellents containing 25-35% DEET (N,n-diethyl-meta-toluamide).
- Protect babies and small children by using mosquito netting over strollers.
If you have any questions or require additional details on the specific mosquito control measures within our village, please feel free to contact the district directly at 708-447-1765.
Illinois Department of Health