Auxiliary Police DutiesThe Department of Law Enforcement Services Auxiliary Police Officer Unit is comprised of volunteer, non-sworn officers that are appointed by the village manager upon recommendation of the director of Law Enforcement Services.
Auxiliary officers are routinely assigned to duties that are commensurate with those of the department's community service officers consistent with applicable laws and local ordinances and are not considered sworn police officers with the power of arrest. Western Springs police auxiliary officers are normally assigned to assist full-time personnel in the daily delivery of quasi-law enforcement services, community relations, and for selected emergency / disaster operations if needed.
Activities & ServicesAn auxiliary officer should be expected to perform any of the following activities or services including but not limited to:
- Enforce parking and ordinance regulations and issue citations for any violations
- Direct or assist with traffic control at various traffic crash scenes and local events
- Assist with nonviolent prisoner processing
- Assist in the impounding and storage of vehicles
- Administer first aid if necessary
- Complete minor, non-action field reports
- Assist with vehicle and residential lockouts
Selection CriteriaTo qualify for appointment to the position of auxiliary officer, an applicant must:
- Complete and submit a written application for the position
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalent
- Be a United States citizen
- Successfully pass a background investigation