Commendation and Complaint Registering Procedure

How to File a Formal Complaint

The Western Springs Police Department will accept and investigate all inquiries against departmental employees and/or policies, procedures, or operations. While the Department cannot dismiss anonymous inquiries, inquiries that are made in such a manner must be judged on its own merit to determine the depth of the investigation required.

To initiate an inquiry, please print and complete the Citizen Complaint/Informal Inquiry Form and file the form with the Police Department by emailing, or send/deliver to 740 Hillgrove Avenue, Western Springs, IL, 60558.  Once a form is received, an investigation will be initiated.  You will be kept informed of the progress of the inquiry and notified when the investigation is complete.

Pursuant to 50 ILCS 725/3.8(b), it shall not be a requirement for a person filing a complaint against a sworn peace officer to have the complaint supported by a sworn affidavit or any other legal documentation. A complainant may, however, attest to the accuracy of the complaint by voluntarily signing a sworn affidavit.

False allegations, which may be slanderous in nature and/or are made without merit or foundation against a member of the Western Springs Police Department may result in a charge of Disorderly Conduct which is punishable under 720 ILCS 5/26 - 1 (a) 4 - Filing A False Police Report.

The results of this investigation will have no bearing on any criminal/traffic offense lodged against you.

How to File a Commendation

To recognize the positive actions or performance of a WSPD employee, please complete the Citizen Commendation Form and email to, or send/deliver to the Police Department at 740 Hillgrove Avenue, Western Springs, IL, 60558.

Hard copies of both the Complaint and Commendation forms are available at the Western Springs Police Department during regular business hours.